Preparing Squash | Grilling Summer Squash | Grilling Winter Squash | Tips
Grilling is a great way to enjoy summer and winter squash. Grilling provides a wonderful smoked flavor to the squash. All that is necessary is a little oil and your favorite seasoning and you have a great side dish for any meal.
Preparing Squash for Grilling
Summer Squash | Winter Squash
Summer Squash Preparation
Summer squash should not be washed until you are ready to use it. Because of its soft skin, the summer squash does not need to be peeled. Some summer squash is not suitable for grilling because of its water content. Zucchini is one summer squash that is great on the grill. Before grilling, prepare the squash as instructed below.
Winter Squash Preparation
Because of the thick, tough skin, winter squash should be partially baked in the microwave before peeling and cubing.
Grilling Summer Squash
Grilling Winter Squash
Because of the dense, hard flesh that winter squash has, it is best to partial cook it before grilling. Follow the preparation instructions above for partial cooking and then peeling the squash.
For more information about squash, see
All About Summer Squash and All About Winter Squash.
- Watch summer squash closely when grilling because they will cooking quickly and may become too soft and overcooked.
- Summer and winter squash does not have to be placed on skewers; just cut pieces large enough so they will not fall through the grates and so they are easy to turn.
- When grilling, add a little sweetness to the smoked flavor of the squash by brushing it with melted butter and brown sugar while it is cooking or wait to add it after it is taken off the grill.
- To remove some of the moisture from the squash before cooking, sprinkle the raw flesh with salt, place cavity side down on a couple of layers of paper towels and allow to stand for 20 to 30 minutes. The salt will draw the moisture out and the paper towel will absorb it. Rinse with cold water before cooking.
- When grilling winter squash cut the pieces or thinner for faster cooking.