To enjoy the great taste and texture of shrimp it is important that it is stored properly at all times. The tips below will help you achieve the optimal quality for all your shrimp recipes
- Fresh shrimp that has not been cooked is very perishable. Shrimp should be used within two days of purchase to ensure optimal taste.
- Store fresh shrimp that will not be cooked immediately in the coolest area of the refrigerator, preferably on ice and covered with waxed paper. The waxed paper allows air to circulate around the shrimp.
- Cooked shrimp that is stored in the refrigerator should be eaten within 2-3 days.
- Frozen shrimp, if packaged tightly, will last up to six months in most household freezers.
- Shrimp that has been frozen tends to lose texture.
- Once defrosted, shrimp should be kept refrigerated and used within three days. Once defrosted, do not refreeze shrimp.