- Preheat oven to 400°. Position the rack on the lowest third of the oven.
- Rinse turkey, pull out neck and giblets and pat dry with paper towels. Place turkey on the rack set inside the roasting pan.
- Place orange, lemon and onions wedges and 2 sprigs of each herb into the cavity of the turkey.
- Tie turkey legs together unless already done by the manufacturer.
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter, with herbs de provence, oil and 1 1/2 teaspoons each of salt and pepper.
- Brush or rub the mixture all over the turkey and between the breast meat and skin.
- Note: All the above prep can be done up to a day ahead. Cover and refrigerate until ready to bake - bring the bird back to room temperature before baking.
- Cover turkey with tin foil, roast in oven for 20 minutes.
- Pour 3 cups of broth into the pan and scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan in order to make the gravy.
- Add in the remaining sprigs of herbs.
- Roast turkey for 40 more minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350°.
- Remove foil from turkey, pour one more cup of broth into the pan and continue roasting until the meat thermometer reaches 165-175° or juices run clear in the thickest part of the thigh when pierced. Approximately 1 1/2 hours more.
- Transfer turkey to a platter when finished baking. Tent with foil and let stand for 30 minutes before carving.
- Spoon off any fat from the pan juices.
- Add enough broth (1-2 cups) to the pan juices to measure a total of 4 cups.
- Melt remaining butter in a heavy saucepan; add flour and whisk for one minute; whisk into the broth and pan juices.
- Simmer until the gravy thickens, approximately 10 minutes, whisking often.
|Prep Time: 10 minutes|
Cook Time: 3 hours
|-||15 pounds turkey |
|-||1 orange - cut into wedges - more for garnish if desired|
|-||1 lemon - cut into wedges - more for garnish if desired|
|-||1 onion cut into wedges|
|-||6 sprigs fresh rosemary|
|-||6 sprigs fresh sage|
|-||6 sprigs fresh oregano|
|-||6 sprigs fresh lemon thyme|
|-||7 tablespoons butter unsalted|
|-||2 tablespoons Herbs de Provence |
|-||1 tablespoon olive oil |
|-||1 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper|
|-||6 cups chicken broth |
|-||1/3 cup flour |