- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- In a heavy sauce pan over medium heat, add 1 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup water. Stir constantly until sugar dissolves and becomes clear.
- Continue cooking and stirring until mixture turns a light golden brown.
- Immediately pour mixture into flan dishes, dividing mixture evenly.
- Over low heat in a small sauce pan, heat milk until hot. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, salt and 1/2 cup sugar until thick and light yellow in color.
- Pour hot milk mixture gradually into egg mixture. Continue to whisk.
- Add cinnamon, whisk to mix.
- Divide mixture evenly between the baking dishes.
- Place the filled baking dishes into the 9x13-inch pan.
- Pour hot water into pan to approximately 1-inch below the top of the flan baking dishes.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the custard comes out clean.
- Remove flan baking dishes from hot water bath and cool on a wire rack.
- When cooled, chill for 2 hours before serving.
- To serve, run a knife around the outside edge of the flan and invert the individual flans onto dessert plates.
Tip: If the flan does not remove easily, dip the flan dish in hot water for a few seconds before inverting onto a serving dish.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Container: 6 flan baking dishes (8 ounce baking dishes will make a thinner flan while 6 ounce baking dishes will add depth. 9x13-inch pan for hot water bath)
Serving Size: 1 each
|-||1 cup white sugar|
|-||1/4 cup water|
|-||3 large eggs|
|-||1/2 cup sugar|
|-||2 cups milk|
|-||2 teaspoons vanilla|
|-||1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon|