- Grease and flour 3 8-inch cake pans and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the cake mix, pudding mix, water, eggs, and oil together until just blended.
- Once blended, beat on medium speed for 4 minutes.
- Stir in the 2 cups of coconut until evenly distributed.
- Pour evenly into prepared cake pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes before removing from the pans; allow to cool completely on racks.
- Place 2 tbsp. butter in a pan and melt over low heat. Add 1 3/4 cups of coconut to the melted butter and cook over low heat until golden brown; stir continually while browning coconut.
- Remove from the heat and spread the coconut out over some paper towels to cool.
- Cream the remaining butter with the softened cream cheese.
- Add the milk and vanilla; gradually mix in the powdered sugar.
- Stir in the browned coconut by hand.
- Assembly the three layers of cake, applying a layer of frosting between each layer.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake. Spread frosting so the surface is fairly smooth.
- Take the remaining 1 1/4 cup of unbrowned coconut and sprinkle on top and press onto the sides of the cake; covering it evenly with the coconut.
- If not serving immediately, cover the cake and store it in the refrigerator.
|Prep Time: 2 hours|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
|-||1 box butter cake mix|
|-||1 package instant vanilla pudding - 4 oz.|
|-||1 1/3 cups water |
|-||4 eggs |
|-||1/4 cup oil|
|-||2 cups coconut |
|-||4 tablespoons butter - divided|
|-||3 cups coconut - divided|
|-||8 ounces cream cheese - softened|
|-||2 teaspoons milk |
|-||1/2 teaspoon vanilla |
|-||3 1/2 cups powdered sugar |