- In a medium-sized skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion, carrot, and bell pepper until softened (about 5 to 7 minutes).
- Coat the inside of a 4-quart slow cooker crock with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Transfer the sautéed onions, carrot, and bell pepper to the slow cooker; then add the garlic, corn, pinto beans, and chilies.
- Stir in the vegetable stock, cilantro, cumin, salt, and black pepper.
- Cover and cook on the low heat setting for about 5 hours.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and baking soda, and mix well. Add the olive oil and the milk, and mix until just combined.
- On a lightly floured surface, form the topping into a shape similar to that of the slow cooker. Either roll out the dough with a floured rolling pin or use your hands to press the dough into the proper shape.
- Place the crust on top of the ingredients in the slow cooker. Turn the heat setting to high, cover, and cook for 1 hour.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 6 or more hours
Container: 4-quart slow cooker
|-|| FOR THE FILLING:|
|-||2 tablespoons olive oil|
|-||1 large yellow onion, chopped|
|-||2 carrots, diced|
|-||1 bell pepper (any color), chopped|
|-||2 jalapeno chili peppers, finely chopped|
|-||4 cloves garlic, minced|
|-||1 cup frozen corn kernels|
|-||2 cans pinto beans, drained (15.5-oz. cans)|
|-||3/4 cup vegetable stock|
|-||3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped|
|-||1/4 teaspoon cumin|
|-||1/2 teaspoon salt|
|-||1/2 teaspoon black pepper|
|-|| FOR THE CRUST:|
|-||1/2 cup cornmeal|
|-||1/2 cup all-purpose flour|
|-||1 tablespoon olive oil|
|-||1/2 teaspoon baking soda|
|-||2 teaspoons baking powder|
|-||1/2 cup milk|