Note: If the stew's gravy is too thin, pour some of it into a saucepan and thicken in the same manner as you would any other gravy, such as using a mixture of flour and water and adding it to the gravy; and then bringing the gravy to a boil. Add thickener and boil until the gravy is the desired thickness and then pour it back into the rest of the stew.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into bite-size pieces.
- Chop the onion, carrots (if using large whole carrots), and the celery.
- Place the stew meat and the vegetables into the slow cooker.
- Stir the gravy and seasoning mixes into 2 cups of water; then pour it over the ingredients in the slow cooker. Add more plain water to the slow cooker until the ingredients are covered.
- Cook covered on the high heat setting for 4 to 6 hours or on the low heat setting for 8 to 12 hours.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 6 or more hours
Container: 5-quart slow cooker
Serving Size: 1 cup
|-||1 pound beef stew meat, cut into cubes|
|-||1 pound carrots, chopped into one-quarter inch discs (or use whole baby carrots)|
|-||4 stalks celery, coarsely chopped|
|-||5 potatoes (medium-sized), chopped into bite-size cubes|
|-||1 yellow onion (medium-sized), chopped|
|-||2 packages brown gravy mix (small envelope)|
|-||1 package beef stew seasoning blend (small envelope)|
|-||4 cups water|