- Prepare the angle food cake mix as instructed on the package. Allow it to cool completely.
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch, water, and salt in a saucepan and stir until the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Cook these ingredients over medium heat until the mixture is clear and has come thickened. Cook it until it just comes to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter; stir until melted.
- Pour in the lemon juice and stir until completely mixed.
- Allow it to cool and then refrigerate the mixture so that it thickens a little more. It should be about the consistency of pudding.
- Remove the lemon mixture from the refrigerator and begin to layer all the ingredients. Begin by putting a layer of torn pieces of cake on the bottom of a trifle bowl. Use a little less than half the cake.
- Spread half the lemon mixture over the cake and then sprinkle this with coconut.
- Add half of the whipped topping and spread out evenly.
- Repeat the layers of cake and lemon mixture. You will probably end up with a little of the cake leftover.
- Next add the rest of the whipped topping and spread out so that it covers the entire top except for about an inch around the outer edge.
- Sprinkle coconut over the entire top of the trifle.
- Serve the trifle immediately or it can be refrigerate for a few hours before serving.
|Prep Time: 1.5 hours|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Container: Trifle bowl
|-||1 package angelfood cake mix - prepared according to instructions on package|
|-||1 1/4 cups sugar |
|-||4 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch |
|-||2 cups water |
|-||1/2 teaspoon salt |
|-||1/4 cup butter |
|-||1 cup lemon juice - with zest|
|-||12 ounces whipped topping |