- Prepare cake according to package directions.
- Pour into 2 (9") greased and floured cake pans.
- Bake according to package directions. Cool completely.
- Toast coconut. To toast coconut, spread in even layer on baking sheet. Place on top rack of oven while cake is baking. Check after 2 minutes, stir around, bake another 2 minutes or until nicely browned. Let cool.
- Beat pudding, milk and coconut extract.
- Add softened cream cheese, beat well.
- Stir in crushed pineapple.
- Lay 1 round cake on serving platter. Spread 1/2 cup cream cheese mixture over top. Place 2nd cake on top. Spread 1/2 cup cream cheese mixture on top.
- Spread Cool Whip over entire cake.
- Sprinkle all over with toasted coconut.
Note: The coconut can be toasted ahead of time and frozen for up to 1 month.
Note: You will have leftover pudding mix. To use up the pudding mix, you can make a 9x13 lemon cake, spread pudding mixture over top, then Cool Whip, then coconut.
|Prep Time: 15 minutes|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
|-||1 package yellow cake mix (18.5 oz)|
|-||2 packages (3-4 oz.) French vanilla instant pudding mix|
|-||1 package (3-4 oz.) coconut cream instant pudding mix|
|-||4 cups milk |
|-||1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract|
|-||1 package cream cheese - softened (8 oz.)|
|-||1 can pineapple (20 oz.) crushed, well drained|
|-||16 ounces Cool Whip - thawed|
|-||2 cups coconut - toasted|