- Whisk together the cream, milk and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in the chocolate baking squares.
- Heat until it starts to steam, do not boil, and chocolate is melted - approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Whisk the egg yolk together in a medium bowl with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Slowly pour the chocolate mixture into the egg mixutre, whisking continuously.
- Pour the mixture back into the sacuepan and heat over medium heat, stirring often, until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Preheat oven to 300Â°F.
- Pour into custard cups.
- Place the cups in a large baking pan with 2 inch sides.
- Add enough water to come 1/2 way up the sides of the cups.
- Bake until the custard is set, approximately 1 hour.
- Remove the custard cups from the water bath and allow to cool.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Before serving, sprinkle each top with 1/2 tablespoon of sugar.
- Place them under the broiler in the oven for 2 minutes just to caramelize the sugar.
- Serve immediately.
|Prep Time: 25 minutes|
Cook Time: 1 hour
Container: small saucepan, medium mixing bowl, 4 (4 ounce) ramekins or custard dishes
|-||1 cup heavy whipping cream |
|-||1/4 cup whole milk |
|-||2 teaspoons vanilla extract |
|-||4 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate |
|-||4 egg yolks |
|-||1 tablespoon sugar |
|-||2 tablespoons sugar - divided|