- Fill one saucepan with water and bring it to a boil.
- Add onions and cover. Remove from the heat and let them sit for 5 minutes.
- Drain the onions, allow to cool and then peel the onions. Set them aside.
- In another saucepan, melt butter or margarine. Add the flour and whisk in the chicken broth in a steady stream.
- Continue whisking over medium heat until thickened, add the cream and continue whisking.
- Add the thyme, salt, pepper and onions.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the onions are tender and the sauce is thick, approximately 45 minutes.
- When ready to serve, garnish with onions and bacon bits if desired.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Container: two medium saucepans
|-||2 pounds pearl onions |
|-||3 tablespoons flour |
|-||3 tablespoons butter or margarine |
|-||1 1/2 cups chicken broth |
|-||1 cup heavy whipping cream |
|-||3 sprigs thyme - stemmed and rough chopped|
|-||1 teaspoon salt |
|-||1/2 teaspoon pepper |
|-||2 tablespoons green onions - chopped for garnish if desired|
|-|| bacon bits for garnish if desired|