- Pour the chicken stock into a medium sized saucepan. Water can be substituted, but chicken stock (or any other type of stock) adds more flavor to the dish.
- Add the olive oil and a pinch of salt to the liquid and bring to a boil.
- Add the couscous to the boiling liquid.
- Remove the pan from the heat, cover, and let it stand for about 6 minutes. Do not lift the lid until the suggested time has expired.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork and serve immediately.
- Note: Serve it as an accompaniment to stews, meats, vegetables, and other savory dishes that include sauces or gravy. Couscous is able to absorb the flavors of the other ingredients that are added to it.
- Variations: An endless variety of other ingredients may be added to the couscous to provide flavor. Chopped dried fruit or chopped nuts are popular additions, as well as various seasonings, such as cinnamon, ginger, cumin, black pepper, garlic, or the zest of citrus fruit.
|Prep Time: 1 minute|
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Container: A medium sized saucepan
Serving Size: 1 cup
|-||1 1/2 cups chicken stock|
|-||2 tablespoons olive oil|
|-|| salt to taste|
|-||1 cup couscous|