- Soak beans overnight in salt water, drain.
- In bottom of stock pot, add oil and sauté onions and garlic over medium heat until softened (about 4 to 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- Add remaining vegetables, seasonings, ham shank, drained beans, and chicken stock or broth.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove ham shank from soup. Allow ham shank to cool slightly. Remove meat from bone. Discard bones, fat, and skin. Add meat to soup.
- Continue cooking on simmer for an additional 30 to 45 minutes or until beans are soft.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 1.5 hours
Container: large heavy stock pot
Serving Size: 12 ounces
|-||16 ounces dried Great Northern beans|
|-||1 cup diced sweet yellow onion|
|-||3 cloves garlic, diced|
|-||1 tablespoon oil|
|-||1 1/2 quarts chicken broth or stock|
|-||2 bay leaves|
|-||2 cups peeled and diced potatoes|
|-||2 stalks celery, diced|
|-||3 carrots, peeled and diced|
|-||1 1/2 pounds to 2 1/2 pound ham shank|
|-||1/4 teaspoon black ground pepper|
|-||1 teaspoon salt|
|-||1/4 teaspoon ground cumin|