Note: If grilling the cucumbers and salmon at the same time seems daunting, do the cucumbers first and then set aside.
- Preheat the grill, and make sure the grill grates are very clean.
- Peel the cucumber and slice it in half lengthwise. Run a spoon down the center of each slice to remove most of the seeds; then slice crosswise about 1/4" thick.
- Generously brush the fillets with oil, salt and pepper lightly, and place on the grill over direct medium heat.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and add the cucumber slices. Salt lightly. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender but still crunchy (3 - 4 minutes).
- Turn the fillets after 5 minutes. Check for doneness 3 minutes after turning (center should be opaque). The total cooking time will depend on the thickness of the fillets and the temperature of the grill; plan for 10 minutes for fillets one-inch thick. Don't overcook or the fish will become dry.
- To serve, spread the cucumbers on a serving dish or divide between individual plates. Place the fish on top with lemon slices alongside. Delicious with a chilled sauvignon blanc.
|Prep Time: 5 minutes|
Cook Time: 10 minutes
|-||1 large cucumber|
|-||2 salmon fillets or pieces, at least 1|
|-|| oil for fish, as needed|
|-|| salt and pepper|
|-||1 tablespoon butter|
|-||1/2 lemon, sliced|