- Heat oven to 400°.
- Cut tomatoes in half.
- Set them cut side down on a foil-lined baking sheet and cook until the skin splits and the tomatoes soften. Approximately 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly on the sheet.
- Peel the skins from the tomatoes and discard.
- Place tomatoes and remaining salsa ingredients in a food processor.
- Process until well blended.
- If you do not have a food processor you can finely chop all ingredients and mix them together.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
- Finely chop turkey and transfer to a bowl.
- Add cilantro, onion, chile, breadcrumbs, lime zest, lime juice, chopped red pepper (optional) and gravy or cream.
- Season with 3/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the egg yolk.
- Mold the mixture into 6 medium sized patties or 8 small patties, 1/2 inch thick.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Place patties on a baking sheet and bake in oven until warmed through.
- Heat a medium sized frying pan over medium heat.
- Add oil and heat.
- Whisk egg whites with 1 tablespoon cold water in a small bowl.
- Place cornmeal in a different shallow bowl.
- Dip patties into the egg white mixture and then into the cornmeal.
- Add coated patties to the hot oil, cooking each side until golden brown. Approximately 3 minutes per side.
- When down, transfer patties to a baking sheet in the oven and bake for approximately 5 minutes.
- Serve with spicy roasted tomato salsa.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Container: Baking sheet and skillet
Serving Size: 2 each
|-||3 medium to large tomatoes, cored and cut in half|
|-||1 tablespoon jalapeño pepper - finely chopped|
|-||1 tablespoon fresh cilantro - chopped|
|-||1 tablespoon lime juice|
|-||1/2 teaspoon salt|
|-|| pepper to taste|
|-|| TURKEY CAKES:|
|-||1 cup diced, cooked turkey - dark or white meat|
|-||2 tablespoons fresh cilantro - chopped|
|-||1 tablespoon onion, chopped|
|-||1 fresh red or green chile - jerrano or jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped|
|-||1/2 red pepper - diced|
|-||1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese mixed with 1/2 cup of bread crumbs|
|-|| grated zest of one lime|
|-||2 tablespoons lime juice|
|-||3 tablespoons leftover gravy or heavy cream|
|-|| salt and pepper to taste|
|-||1 egg, separated|
|-||1/2 cup cornmeal|
|-||1/4 cup olive or vegatable oil|