Note: To make a thicker chowder, transfer of the soup mixture to a blender or food processer and pureé. Then transfer it back to the soup pot and mix together.
Cook's Note: Cut the potatoes into corn kernel size in order for them to cook faster. Cut kernels from the cob with a serrated knife and don't be afraid to season well with salt and pepper.
- In a large saucepan, or soup pot, bring milk to a low simmer.
- Cut corn kernels from the cob. Set corn aside.
- When milk is warm, add the cobs and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While cobs simmer, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add diced potatoes, sauté 10 minutes, add onion and thyme; sauté for another 8-10 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 1 minute longer.
- Remove cobs from the milk and discard.
- Transfer potatoes and onion mixture to the milk.
- Add the corn kernels and red pepper(if using) and simmer 15 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
|Prep Time: 10 minutes|
Cook Time: 20 minutes
|-||4 cups whole milk|
|-||7 ears of fresh sweet corn|
|-||2 tablespoons olive oil|
|-||1 large yellow onion, diced|
|-||1 1/2 cups potatoes, finely diced. (one large baking or two small, may also use red potatoes)|
|-||1/2 teaspoon dried thyme|
|-||4 cloves garlic, minced|
|-|| salt and pepper to taste|
|-||1/2 cup red pepper, chopped (optional)|
|-||3 slices bacon, crisp and crumbled (optional)|