- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Clean and cut rhubarb and strawberries. Place prepared fruit and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add sugar, corn starch, salt and cinnamon. Stir until fruit is lightly coated.
- Cover bottom of pie plate with 1 pastry crust, leaving an overhang of approximately 1/2 inch. Pour fruit mixture into bottom of unbaked crust, dot with butter and sprinkle with freshly ground nutmeg, if desired.
- Place remaining crust over fruit filled crust. Seal and flute the edges. Cut 6 slashes on the top of crust to release steam while baking.
- Beat egg white until frothy and spread over top crust. Sprinkle lightly with sugar if desired.
- Bake at 400ºF for 10 minutes. Reduce heat and cover edges to prevent over-browning. Continue baking at 375ºF for 50 to 55 minutes.
- Remove and cool on rack before serving.
- Garnish with ice cream or whipped topping, if desired.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 1 hour
Container: 9-inch pie plate
|-|| Pastry for double crust 9-inch pie|
|-||4 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped|
|-||3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced into thirds|
|-||1 3/4 cups granulated sugar|
|-||1/3 cup cornstarch|
|-||1 pinch salt|
|-||1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice|
|-||1/2 teaspoon cinnamon|
|-||1 teaspoon to 2 teaspoons unsalted butter|
|-|| freshly ground nutmeg|
|-||1 egg white|
|-|| Optional Garnish: ice cream or whipped topping|