- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Grease a large baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients; then cut in the butter with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Blend the egg yolks with the buttermilk; then add this to the dry ingredients. Stir in the raisins, currants, and nuts.
- Knead the dough lightly on a floured board until it is smooth. Divide the dough in half and make two 6" circles. Cut each circle into 6 wedges; then place the wedges onto the greased baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, add the egg white and water and whisk until frothy. Brush each wedge with the egg white mixture.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until the scones are light golden brown.
|Prep Time: 15 minutes|
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Container: large baking sheet
Serving Size: 1 piece
|-||2 cups all purpose flour|
|-||1/4 cup sugar|
|-||4 teaspoons baking powder|
|-||1/4 teaspoon salt|
|-||6 tablespoons chilled butter, unsalted, cut into small pieces|
|-||2 large egg yolks|
|-||1/2 cup buttermilk|
|-||1/4 cup raisins|
|-||1/4 cup currants|
|-||1/3 cup almonds, sliced and toasted (walnuts may also be used)|
|-||1 egg white, lightly beaten|
|-||1 teaspoon water (for the egg wash)|
|-||1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)|
|-|| Note: If you want a thinner egg wash, double the amount of water.|