- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease baking dish.
- Layer 1/3 sliced potatoes, 1/3 chopped ham, 1/3 onions in the pan. Repeat layers, ending with sliced potatoes on top.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, warm milk (do not boil). In a separate sauce pan melt butter and slowly stir in flour. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add warmed milk to the butter and flour mixture and continue to cook for 4 to 5 minutes while continuing to stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat, stir in shredded cheese, mustard, paprika, and black pepper. (Return to low heat if cheese does not melt.) Then, pour cheese sauce over layered potatoes.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until potatoes are soft and top layer is golden brown.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 1 hour
Container: 3 quart casserole
|-||2 cups cooked ham, cubed|
|-||3 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and sliced thin (approximately 9 med. potatoes)|
|-||1/2 cup onion, finely chopped|
|-||2 1/2 cups whole milk|
|-||1/4 cup butter|
|-||5 tablespoons flour|
|-||12 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded|
|-||2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard|
|-||1 teaspoon paprika|
|-|| salt and pepper to taste|