- In a Dutch oven or soup pot combine the broth and water. Add the rice and onion; cook according to directions on the package of rice. (Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or as stated on package.)
- In a separate pan, melt the butter; stir in flour and seasoning. Stirring constantly, cook for approximately 1 minute until smooth and bubbling.
- Gradually stir in half & half and cook until slightly thickened; stir constantly.
- Once slightly thickened, slowly add half & half mixture into the rice mixture, stirring constantly.
- After adding in all the half & half mixture, add the remaining ingredients.
- Continue to heat slowly but do not bring to a boil; stir frequently.
- Add cheese and stir in as it melts. If desired, you can add more or less cheese than stated.
|Prep Time: 1.25 hours|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Container: Dutch oven or soup pot
|-||3 cans chicken broth - 10.75 oz. cans|
|-||2 cups water |
|-||1/2 cup wild rice |
|-||1/2 cup finely chopped onions|
|-||1/2 cup butter |
|-||3/4 cup flour |
|-|| Salt and pepper to taste|
|-||1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning |
|-||2 cups half & half |
|-||1 1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken|
|-||8 slices bacon - cooked crisp and crumbled|
|-||4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese |
|-||4 ounces Velveeta Cheese |