- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the rice.
- Slice the peppers lengthwise and remove the stem, seeds and membrane. In a microwave safe container, blanche the peppers by placing each half of pepper cut side up in a single layer on the bottom of the container. Add 1/8 cup of water to bottom of container and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, covered.
- Brown the ground beef with onions and garlic until beef is thoroughly cooked. Drain off any excess drippings from the meat. Add corn and continue cooking for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the meat mixture, rice, cilantro, spices and salsa; blend thoroughly. Fill each pepper half with the mixture and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350º degrees for 25 minutes.
- Just before serving, add extra salsa on top of the cheese if desired.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Container: large baking dish or cookie sheet with sides
Serving Size: 1 piece
|-||1 pound lean ground beef|
|-||2 cups cooked rice (brown)|
|-||1 large onion, chopped|
|-||15 ounces corn, drained|
|-||1/2 cup cilantro, chopped|
|-||2 cloves garlic, minced|
|-||15 ounces salsa, thick and chunky|
|-||4 red bell peppers, large|
|-||4 ounces shredded cheese for garnish|
|-|| chili powder to taste|
|-|| ground cumin to taste|
|-|| salt and pepper to taste|
|-|| salsa for garnish|