- First, wash the spinach leaves and dry them thoroughly. You can blot with paper towels and then spread the damp leaves out to dry on more towels, or you can use a salad spinner to dry the spinach. After washing, cut off any long stems and throw them away.
- When the spinach is washed, dried and ready to cook, start by heating olive oil in a sautÃ© pan on medium high heat. Add garlic and stir until it starts to sizzle and is just slightly browned (about one minute).
- Tear larger leaves of spinach into small pieces and add to oil, stirring. Fill the pan with spinach and use a spatula to pack it down to fit more leaves in.
- Then use your spatula to stir and turn the spinach to coat it with oil. SautÃ© until spinach softens and just begins to wilt, approximately three minutes. Spinach should still be bright green in color.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
|Prep Time: 10 minutes|
Cook Time: 5 minutes
|-||1 pound spinach - two large bunches|
|-||2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil|
|-||2 cloves garlic - diced or thinly sliced|
|-|| Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste|