- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 cake pan. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Mix the mashed bananas and lemon juice together in a small bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Beat eggs into the butter and sugar mixture one at a time. Beat in vanilla.
- Mix in the flour a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Stir in the mashed bananas and then pour batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes. Start checking for doneness after about 1 hour by poking the center of the cake with a toothpick. When it comes out clean, the cake is done. Baking times may vary so check with a toothpick to be sure the cake is baked properly.
- Combine the cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl and beat until well blended.
- Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until creamy smooth.
- If the consistency of the cream cheese frosting is too thin, add a little more powdered sugar, starting with one or two tablespoons at a time until it is the desired consistency.
- Spread frosting on the cake evenly.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 1.5 hours
|-||1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas|
|-||2 teaspoons lemon juice |
|-||3 cups flour |
|-||1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda |
|-||1/4 teaspoon salt |
|-||3/4 cup butter - softened|
|-||2 1/8 cups sugar (1/8 cup = 2 tbsp.)|
|-||2 teaspoons vanilla |
|-||3 eggs |
|-||1 1/2 cups buttermilk |
|-||1/2 cup butter - softened|
|-||8 ounces cream cheese - room temperature|
|-||3 1/2 cups powdered sugar |
|-||1 teaspoon vanilla |