- At least 1 hour prior to grilling bring steak out of the fridge
- Optional: Some suggest coating with oil prior to applying rub
- Apply your favorite tenderizing rub and let stand for 1 hour to come to room temp and let the spices penetrate the meat
- MED/LOW Grill heat. Direct heat is fine with GrillGrates. You'll get a super sear while letting the meat slowly cook and come up to temperature.
- Turn at 7 minute mark
- Turn and TWIST in 7-8 more minutes to get nice cross hatch on presentation side.
- At 20 Minutes- Check internal temperature with a meat thermometer 120F is your target. If you are close, turn off the grill and leave the meat on for 5 minutes and remove.
- Remove at 120-130F for medium rare.
- Let rest under tent of tin foil for 10 minutes.
- First cut the meat in HALF find the grain change and cut the meat in half basically in the middle.
- Then cut from the ends to the cut side cutting across the grain.
- If you think you overcooked it- CUT THIN.
- If you are dead on rare- cut it thicker
- Use a cutting board with a tray around the outside to catch the juice.
- Plate the cut pieces and pour the juice over and serve!
|-|| Tri Tip 2.5lb will feed 4 people|
|-|| Canola Oil (optional)|
|-|| A meat tenderizing rub like Adolfs|
|-|| Salt & Pepper|