- Cook bacon in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until crispy.
- Remove 3/4 of the bacon and set aside to drain; chop into fine pieces.
- Add onion to the remaining bacon and cook until tender, stirring occasionally - about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, potatoes, and bell pepper. Sauté for an additional minute. Make sure to get all the vegetables coated.
- Add milk and the cooking sherry - bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender and the soup thickens slightly, about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Add creamed corn, corn kernels, and the thyme to the soup and simmer until heated through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with the reserved bacon.
|Prep Time: 45 minutes|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Container: Heavy large saucepan
|-||4 slices bacon, chopped|
|-||1 med white onion, chopped|
|-||1 lg garlic clove, minced|
|-||3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes|
|-||1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped (or can use a few carrots)|
|-||3 cups whole milk|
|-||1/4 cup cooking sherry or white wine|
|-||1 - 15 oz cans creamed corn|
|-||2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels|
|-||2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme|
|-|| Salt and pepper, to taste|