- Bring the water to a boil; then add the raisins. Return to a boil; then reduce the heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes or until the raisins are plump and juicy.
- Cream the sugar, shortening, vanilla, and eggs in a large bowl.
- Measure the liquid from the raisins, and add water if necessary to equal 1/2 cup.
- Add the raisins and liquid to the creamed ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ground cloves; then add this dry mixture to the creamed mixture.
- Add the oatmeal and chopped nuts and mix well.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° F for 8-10 minutes or until light golden brown. Yield: 6 1/2 dozen cookies.
|Cook Time: 10 minutes|
Container: baking sheet
Serving Size: 1 each
|-||1 cup water|
|-||1 cup raisins|
|-||1 1/2 cups sugar|
|-||3/4 cup shortening|
|-||1 teaspoon vanilla|
|-||2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour|
|-||1 teaspoon baking soda|
|-||1/2 teaspoon baking powder|
|-||1 teaspoon salt|
|-||1 teaspoon cinnamon|
|-||1/2 teaspoon cloves (ground)|
|-||2 cups quick or regular oatmeal|
|-||1/2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)|