- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Add the crushed nuts and set aside.
- Grease a baking pan that is long enough for the filo pastry to be laid flat.
- Take five sheets of filo and set in the bottom of the pan. Brush each layer with butter.
- After placing the five layers in the bottom, take a handful or two of the filling (sugar/nuts) and place a layer of it on top of the filo.
- Take two more sheets and place on top, buttering each sheet.
- Continue placing two sheets of buttered filo and filling. The top layer of the baklava should have five sheets of buttered filo, just like the bottom layer.
- Place a whole clove in each piece for flavor.
- Place the baklava in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes or until the melted butter solidifies.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven; slice the pieces, remembering to keep the clove near the center of each piece.
- Drizzle honey (to taste) on the top.
Note: As an alternative to the honey, you can drizzle on a syrup made from boiling water, sugar, and stick cinnamon.
|Prep Time: 1 hour|
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Container: long baking pan
|-||1 pound filo pastry|
|-||1/2 cup melted butter|
|-||3 cups sugar|
|-||1/4 cup honey|
|-||1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)|
|-||1 cup crushed walnuts or other nuts (cashews and almonds work well)|
|-|| whole cloves|