- In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the butter, sugar and salt.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until the butter is melted.
- Allow to come to a boil. Cook until the mixture becomes a dark amber color and the temperature has reached 285 degrees F (137 degrees C); stir occasionally.
- While the toffee is cooking, cover a large baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- As soon as the toffee reaches the proper temperature, pour it out onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the chocolate over the top, and let it set for a minute or two to soften.
- Spread the chocolate in a thin even layer once it is melted.
- Sprinkle the nuts over the chocolate, and press in slightly. Putting a plastic bag over your hand will minimize the mess.
- Place the toffee in the refrigerator to chill until set.
- Break into pieces, and store in an airtight container.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Container: Large heavy saucepan
|-||2 cups butter|
|-||2 cups white sugar|
|-||1/4 teaspoon salt|
|-||2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips|
|-||1 cup finely chopped almonds|