- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Be sure that your 10 inch tube pan is clean and dry. Any amount of oil or residue could deflate the egg whites.
- Sift together the flour, and 3/4 cup of the sugar, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whip the egg whites along with the vanilla, cream of tartar and salt, to medium stiff peaks.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar while continuing to whip to stiff peaks.
- When the egg white mixture has reached its maximum volume, fold in the sifted ingredients gradually, one third at a time.
- Do not over mix.
- Put the batter into the tube pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake springs back when touched.
- Balance the tube pan upside down on the top of a bottle, to prevent decompression while cooling.
- When cool, run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert onto a plate.
- Make home made whipped topping to frost the cake by whipping heavy whipping cream to form peaks and add 1/2 -1 cup sugar until thick.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
|-||1 cup cake flour |
|-||1 1/2 cups sugar |
|-||12 egg whites |
|-||1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract |
|-||1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tarter|
|-||1/2 teaspoon salt |