- Place the unpeeled potato in a small saucepan, cover it with water, and add about a half teaspoon of salt. Cook over medium heat until the potato is just tender when poked with a fork. Do not overcook. Remove from the water and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, pour in the olive oil and allow it to heat up. Add the onion and garlic to the heated oil and sautÃ© until onions are slightly browned. Add the leftover lamb towards the end of the cooking time so it cooks with the onion and garlic for a short time.
- Add the beef broth and sherry to the skillet; cook until they reduce by half.
- Add the tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, herbs, and paprika; simmer until sauce thickens.
- While mixture is cooking cut the potato into thin slices. The potato can be left unpeeled or if it can be peeled if desired.
- In a medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs and cheese; stir to mix evenly.
- Pour the lamb mixture from the skillet into the baking dish and stir in the parsley.
- Layer the potato slices over the top and then sprinkle the bread crumbs and cheese over the top.
- Bake at 350° F for 45 minutes. Remove it from the oven and serve immediately.
|Prep Time: 1 hour|
Cook Time: 1.5 hours
Container: 9 x 9 baking dish
|-||1 large potato |
|-||1/2 teaspoon salt |
|-||2 tablespoons olive oil |
|-||1 onion - small, chopped|
|-||2 cloves garlic - finely chopped|
|-||1 1/2 cups leftover lamb, cubed|
|-||1/2 cup beef broth |
|-||2 tablespoons sherry |
|-||2 tablespoons tomato paste |
|-||1 can chopped tomatoes - 14.5 oz.|
|-||pinch dried herbs (such as thyme, rosemary, oregano, or a mixture of several)|
|-||1 teaspoon paprika |
|-||1 cup bread crumbs |
|-||1 cup Cheddar cheese |
|-||1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley |