- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease the bottom of a 9 x 13 cake pan.
- Open caramels and place them in a heavy saucepan. Set aside.
- Mix the cake up according to the directions on the package.
- Pour 2 cups of batter into the bottom of the greased cake pan; spread out evenly.
- Bake this layer in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- While this layer is baking, add the margarine and sweetened condensed milk to the saucepan containing the caramels.
- Melt this mixture over medium low heat. Cook until caramels are all melted and mixture is smooth; stir constantly so bottom does not burn.
- When the bottom cake layer is done, remove from the oven and pour the caramel mixture over the top of it and spread out evenly.
- Pour the remaining cake batter over the caramel layer and carefully spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the top with chopped pecans and return to the oven and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving. The cake can be served with a whipped cream topping or a scoop of ice cream but it is also very delicious all on its own.
|Prep Time: 45 minutes|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Container: 9 x 13 baking pan
|-||1 package chocolate fudge cake mix|
|-||1 package caramels - 14 oz.|
|-||1/2 cup butter |
|-||1 can sweetened condensed milk -14 oz.|
|-||1 cup chopped pecans |