- Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Set whites aside to be used for the meringue.
- Add all the yolks, milk, sugar, corn starch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to boil or until thick. Stir constantly to prevent it from burning on the bottom.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla until well blended.
- Add the coconut and stir until evenly distributed.
- Pour into a pre-baked pie crust.
- Begin making the meringue topping by placing the egg whites in a mixing bowl. Beat until whites form a soft peak
- Add the salt and then begin adding the sugar one or two tablespoons at a time, beating after each addition until all the sugar has been added.
- When all the sugar has been added, continue to beat the meringue until it forms stiff peaks. Add the cream of tartar and beat just enough to mix it in. Do not overbeat at this point.
- Pour the meringue over warm pie filling and spread out evenly, making sure the meringue touches the crust all around the edges so that there is not any gaps between it and the crust.
- Form peaks on the meringue and then place it on the bottom rack in an oven preheated to 350Â°F. Bake for 9 or 10 minutes or until the meringue is lightly browned. Watch it carefully because it will brown quickly.
- Remove from the oven and allow the pie to cool completely before serving so that the filling has time to thicken properly.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Container: 9 inch pie plate
|-||3 eggs |
|-||2 cups milk |
|-||2/3 cup sugar |
|-||1/4 cup cornstarch |
|-||pinch salt |
|-||1 teaspoon vanilla |
|-||1 1/2 cups coconut |
|-||6 tablespoons powdered sugar |
|-||pinch salt |
|-||1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar |
|-|| pre-baked single pie crust|