- In a large bowl, combine the cereal, flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, lemon zest and nuts.
- In another large bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil and beaten egg. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly add the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients, mixing by hand until combined.
- This batter can be stored in the refrigerator in a tightly covered container for up to 4 weeks. Makes approximately 12 cups of batter.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line the muffin tins with paper muffin liners and place approximately 1/4 cup of batter in each muffin cup.
- Bake for approximately 17 minutes.
- Remove from the muffin tins to cool on a wire rack.
|Prep Time: 15 minutes|
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Container: 2 large mixing bowls, muffin tins
|-||20 ounces bran cereal with raisins |
|-||5 cups flour |
|-||2 cups sugar |
|-||5 teaspoons baking soda |
|-||2 teaspoons salt |
|-||4 eggs - beaten|
|-||1 cup vegetable oil |
|-||1 quart buttermilk |
|-||1 cup nuts - any variety, chopped|
|-||1 lemon - zested|