- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Peel, core and thinly slice apples. Place in a large bowl. Drizzle lemon juice over apples and toss to coat.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon zest. Stir until combined and pour over sliced apples. Stir to coat.
- Roll out crust to fit, just over the edges of pie plate.
- Place apple mixture on crust. Press apples firmly into crust.
- Cut butter into 4 pieces and place on top of apples.
- Roll out second crust so it will cover apples.
- Crimp the two crusts together. Cut about 4 slits in top of crust.
- Place foil around outside edges of crust to prevent over-browning.
- Sprinkle top of crust lightly with cinnamon and sugar if desired.
- Bake 50-60 minutes.
|Prep Time: 25 minutes|
Cook Time: 1 hour
Container: 10-inch pie plate
Serving Size: 1 piece
|-||5 pounds apples - use a combination of baking apples for more flavor|
|-||15 ounces refrigerated pie crust (2 crusts)|
|-||2 tablespoons lemon juice - freshly squeezed|
|-||3/4 cup sugar, granulated |
|-||1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon |
|-||1/4 teaspoon nutmeg |
|-||3 tablespoons flour |
|-||1 tablespoon butter |
|-||1 teaspoon lemon zest - optional|
|-|| cinnamon and sugar - optional|