- Preheat oven to 350Â°.
- In skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Spread around to coat pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar, lemon zest, and juice over melted butter and continue to cook 1-2 more minutes or until sugar starts to melt, stirring continuously.
- Spread out in pan. Remove from heat.
- Add rhubarb pieces right away to cover over bottom of skillet.
- In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In medium bowl with electric mixer, beat egg whites until foamy. Increase speed to high and add in 1/4 cup sugar. Beat until whites stand in stiff peaks.
- In large mixer bowl, on medium speed, beat remaining 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) and 3/4 cup sugar. Beat until light and fluffy (about 3-4 minutes). Scrape down sides of bowl once in awhile.
- Beat in egg yolks, 1 at a time and vanilla. Blend well.
- Reduce speed to low and slowly add flour mixture alternately with milk. Blend well.
- Remove mixing bowl from mixer. With spatula, fold in beaten egg whites just until combined in mixture.
- With spatula, spread mixture evenly over pieces of rhubarb in skillet.
- Place skillet in oven and bake for 40 minutes or until nicely browned on top and center is set.
- Remove from oven, cool 5 minutes.
- Place serving platter upside down on skillet, turn over to invert cake onto plate. Serve warm with whipped cream if desired.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
|-||3 tablespoons unsalted butter |
|-||1/2 cup brown sugar - packed|
|-||1/2 lemon - zested|
|-||2 teaspoons lemon juice |
|-||2 cups rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1|
|-||1 1/2 cups flour |
|-||2 teaspoons baking powder |
|-||1/2 teaspoon salt |
|-||1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)|
|-||3 eggs - separate whites from yolks|
|-||1 cup sugar - divided|
|-||1 teaspoon vanilla extract |
|-||1/2 cup milk |