- Heat the grill to medium.
- Lay the asparagus and the peppers (skin side up) on a baking sheet and sprinkle with olive oil; then lay the asparagus spears and peppers (skin side down) on the heated grill.
- Cover and grill the asparagus until lightly browned and crisp tender. Grill the peppers until the skin is blackened all over, about 7 minutes.
- Remove the asparagus to a cutting board and place the peppers in a paper bag. Let cool, then remove the skins.
- Cut the asparagus and the peppers into bite-size pieces.
- In food processor or blender, combine the olive oil, orange juice, garlic, ginger, orange zest, honey, and wasabi powder. Process until smooth. Set the dressing aside.
- Cook the rice according to the package directions. Add the salt to the rice.
- Transfer the cooked rice to large bowl.
- Pour the dressing over hot rice and stir occasionally until the rice is cool.
- Add the asparagus, pepper, and orange pieces. Stir to combine with the other ingredients.
- Line a serving platter with red leaf lettuce.
- Spoon the rice salad in center. Top with nuts if desired.
- You may need to season the salad with salt. Serve the salad at room temperature.
- If the salad is made the night before, you may need to add a one or two tablespoons of orange juice if it seems too dry.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Container: large serving bowl, small sautÃ© pan, grill
Serving Size: cup
|-||1 pound asparagus - trimmed|
|-||1/4 cup olive oil |
|-||1 yellow pepper - seeded and cut in half|
|-||1 red pepper - seeded and cut in half|
|-||1/4 cup orange juice - plus more if needed|
|-||1 clove garlic - chopped|
|-||2 tablespoons fresh ginger |
|-||2 tablespoons honey |
|-||1/2 orange - the zest only|
|-||1 orange - segmented and cut up|
|-||1/4 teaspoon wasabi powder|
|-||1 cup dry brown rice|
|-||3/4 teaspoon salt |
|-||1/3 cup mixed nuts, optional|