- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease, flour and line the bottom of two loaf pans with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and 2 cups granulated sugar in the electric mixer bowl with the paddle attachment, for about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs one at a time, and the lemon zest.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Divide the batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- When the cakes are done, let them cool for 10 minutes, then flip them onto a rack set on a tray, and spoon the lemon syrup over the cakes. Allow the cakes to cool completely.
- For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a wire whisk until smooth.
- Pour over the top of the cakes and allow the glaze to drizzle down the sides.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Add mangos, nectarines and plums to a 9x11 baking dish. Sprinkle with sugar and add the raspberries. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Heat the broiler and place the fruit 5 inches below the heat and broil for 5-8 minutes until the berries release some of their juices.
|Container: two loaf pans, mixing bowl, mixer|
|-|| LEMON CAKE|
|-||1/2 pound unsalted butter at room temperature|
|-||2 1/2 cups granulated sugar|
|-||4 large eggs at room temperature|
|-||1/3 cup grated lemon zest (4 large lemons)|
|-||3 cups all-purpose flour|
|-||1/2 teaspoon baking powder|
|-||1/2 teaspoon baking soda|
|-||3/4 teaspoon salt|
|-||3/4 cup fresh lemon juice|
|-||3/4 cup buttermilk at room temperature|
|-||1 teaspoon vanilla|
|-||2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted|
|-||3 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice|
|-|| BAKED FRUIT|
|-||4 nectarines - pitted and sliced|
|-||4 plums - pitted and halved or quartered|
|-||1/4 cup sugar|
|-||2 cups frozen raspberries|