- To make the cake, preheat oven to 350° F.
- Lightly coat the cake pans with non stick cooking spray.
- Sift the cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Add softened chunks of butter and mix on low for 20-30 seconds. The mixture should be lumpy.
- Add the milk and vanilla extract. Mix on medium speed to thoroughly blend the ingredients.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add in the eggs ones at a time making sure to combine well before adding each egg.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans.
- Bake until the cakes are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, approximately 30-35 minutes.
- Set the pans on a cooling rack and allow them to completely cool. Run a knife around the edge of each and invert the cakes onto the racks.
- With a serrated knife, cut each round cake in half horizontally through the center so that you end up with four rounds.
- To make the whipped cream center, pour the whipping cream into a medium mixing bowl.
- Whip on medium speed for two minutes then go up to high until the cream thickens.
- Add the sugar and vanilla.
- Continue whipping until soft peaks form.
- Puree the fruit in a food processor along with two tablespoons of sugar and the lemon zest.
- Gently fold the fruit puree into the whipped cream.
- Place one of the bottom cakes onto a cake platter.
- Top with approximatley one cup of the whipped cream and spread evenly. Arrange 1/2 cup of sliced strawberries around the edge of the cake
- Place the second layer on top of that and continue layers of cake, whipped cream and strawberry slices until all four layers are finished.
- Top with sliced strawberries.
|Prep Time: 25 minutes|
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Container: 2 nine inch round cake pans, mixer, large mixing bowl, medium mixing bowl, food processor
|-||2 3/4 cups cake flour |
|-||1 1/2 cups sugar |
|-||3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder |
|-||1/2 teaspoon salt |
|-||12 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature and cut into chuncks|
|-||3/4 cup milk |
|-||1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract |
|-||4 eggs - large sized and at room temperature|
|-||3 cups whipping cream |
|-||5 tablespoons sugar |
|-||1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract |
|-||1 cup raspberries - frozen or fresh|
|-||2 cups strawberries - fresh and hulled|
|-||2 tablespoons sugar |
|-||1 lemon - zested|
|-||2 cups strawberries - fresh, hulled and sliced for between layers and on top|