- In stockpot, soak beans in enough water to cover, overnight.
- The next day, add remaining ingredients, except salsa and salt.
- Bring to a boil, stir.
- Decrease heat to medium and cover. Simmer until the beans are slightly firm but tender in middle, about 1 1/2 hours. If the liquid evaporates before beans are cooked, add water, 1/4 cup at a time.
- When beans are cooked, add salt.
- Keep warm until ready to serve, or cool, cover and keep in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Stir in salsa, if using, right before serving. Great with tacos, in enchiladas, or as a side with chips.
|Prep Time: 10 minutes|
Cook Time: 1.5 hours
|-||16 ounces dried black beans|
|-||6 cups water |
|-||1 onion - diced|
|-||2 cloves garlic - chopped|
|-||1 tablespoon ground cumin - or more to taste|
|-||2 teaspoons chili powder |
|-||1 teaspoon chipotle chiles |
|-||1/3 cup ketchup |
|-||1 teaspoon oregano - dried|
|-||2 teaspoons salt |
|-|| Salsa for extra flavor (optional)|