- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Season beef with salt and pepper and brown in oil for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove with slotted spoon to plate and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon olive oil in the same pot and add leeks and carrots. SautÃƒÂ© until softened, about 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beet juice, beef, tomatoes with liquid, cabbage, water, tomato paste and 3 tablespoons fresh dill. Stir to scrape up any bits from bottom of pan.
- Bring to simmer over medium heat.
- Cook for about 1 hour.
- Add the beets, vinegar, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 5 more minutes.
- Ladle borscht in bowls and garnish with sour cream and dill.
- Serve with warm bread or crackers.
|Container: large soup pot|
Serving Size: 4
|-||15 ounces beets - sliced, drained (reserve juice) OR 5-6 fresh beets sliced|
|-||2 tablespoons olive oil |
|-||1 pound stew beef |
|-||3 leeks - finely sliced|
|-||2 carrots - large, diced|
|-||1 can diced tomatoes 14 1/2 oz.|
|-||1/2 head green cabbage, chopped|
|-||6 cups water |
|-||2 tablespoons tomato paste |
|-||5 tablespoons dill - fresh, divided, chopped|
|-||5 tablespoons red wine vinegar |
|-||1/4 cup brown sugar - more to taste|
|-|| salt and pepper to taste|
|-|| sour cream and dill for garnish|