- Put 1 - 2 inches water into the bottom section of a double boiler and bring to a simmer. Heat 4 cups water to near boiling and add to top part of boiler.
- In a separate bowl, mix corn meal, buckwheat and salt. Whisk this mixture gradually into the hot water, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about an hour or until the mixture has no raw taste. Mixture will be quite thick.
- Remove cooked polenta to a serving dish and top with a generous dollop of butter.
- TIP: a double boiler can be improvised by suspending a smaller saucepan inside a larger one, using a small jar, can or similar heat-proof object to keep the inner pan just above the water level in the larger pan.
|Prep Time: 10 minutes|
Cook Time: 1 hour
Container: double boiler (see TIP)
Serving Size: 1 cup
|-||4 cups water, plus more for the boiler|
|-||2/3 cup corn meal|
|-||1/3 cup buckwheat flour|
|-||1 teaspoon salt|
|-||2 tablespoons butter, or to taste (optional)|