- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté until golden brown, 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and sauté one more minute.
- Remove from heat and pour into a food processor.
- Add in the chipotle chiles, vinegar and water and pureé.
- Pour 1/2 of the pureé in a non-corrosive bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the uncooked shrimp and allow it to marinate in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- For the glaze, pour the other half of the pureé into a saucepan.
- Add the brown sugar, orange juice and adobo sauce.
- Bring this to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until slightly thickened, 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat a broiler or grill.
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade and thread them onto skewers or lay them in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Brush with thickened glaze and place on the grill or under the broiler.
- Cook until the shrimp turn pink, 2-3 minutes, while frequently brushing with glaze.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix the sour cream with the rest of the glaze and use as a condiment for the fajitas.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave for 20 seconds.
- Top them with cheese, shrimp and desired condiments.
- Serve warm.
|Prep Time: 35 minutes|
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Container: small saucepan, food processor, medium skillet
|-||2 tablespoons olive oil |
|-||1 cup onion - finely chopped|
|-||4 cloves garlic - chopped|
|-||2 teaspoons cumin |
|-||1 teaspoon oregano |
|-|| salt and pepper to taste|
|-||2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce|
|-||1/4 cup red wine vinegar |
|-||1 cup water|
|-||1 1/2 pounds shrimp - medium to large, peeled and deveined|
|-||1 tablespoon brown sugar |
|-||1/4 cup orange juice |
|-||2 tablespoons adobo sauce from the canned chiles|
|-||6 tortillas - floured, tomato flavored, spinach flavored, wheat or flavor of choice|
|-||2 cups mozzarella cheese - shredded or your favorite cheese|
|-||2 tomatoes - diced, for toppings if desired|
|-||3 cups lettuce - chopped, for toppings if desired|
|-||1/2 red onion - chopped, for toppings if desired|
|-||1 red pepper - thinly sliced, for toppings if desired|
|-||1 cup sour cream |