- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
- In a large bowl stir together the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in the butter chunks with a fork or pastry blender until the dough resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in the cheese and add the buttermilk.
- Stir with a fork until all is incorporated and combined.
- Place on a floured surface and roll out into a 1/2 inch thick circle.
- Cut dough with a biscuit cutter or a glass with a 2 inch circumference.
- Place discs on the baking sheet.
- Form the remaining dough into another 1/2 inch thick circle.
- Cut out 4 more biscuits.
- Bake until light golden brown, approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Serve warm.
|Prep Time: 15 minutes|
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Container: baking sheet, large mixing bowl
|-||1 cup flour |
|-||1/2 cup cornmeal |
|-||1/4 teaspoon baking soda |
|-||1 teaspoon baking powder |
|-||1/2 teaspoon salt |
|-||4 tablespoons unsalted butter - cut into 1/2 inch cubes|
|-||1/2 cup Cheddar cheese or sweet pepper cheese - grated|
|-||1/2 cup buttermilk |