Note: To add a flavorful spiciness to the soup, consider using chipolte peppers, either chopped bits or pureed into the soup base. Some chipolte peppers can be found in food stores as a canned product. The peppers are seeded and may be whole or chopped and may also be combined with a mole sauce. Add to taste for mild to hot intensities or serve in a seperate bowl and allow guests to add amounts to suit their taste buds. The addition of the mole sauce will increase the intensity of the flavor.
- In a medium soup pot, heat the oil, until simmering. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook over low heat. Stir until softened; approximately 7 minutes. Add the apples and celery, cooking for an additional 5 minutes. Now add the sliced sweet potatoes, chicken stock, and water. Bring to a boil. Cover partially and let simmer over low heat until the fruit and vegetables are very tender; approximately 45 minutes.
- For spicier variation see the "Note" below and add the chipolte peppers and mole sauce (if peppers are in a mole sauce) now before the soup is pureed.
- Use a blender(immersion blender is best) to puree the soup until smooth.
- Season with salt and white pepper. Add the cumin, onion powder and cayenne papper, stir until blended well.
- Garnish with crumbled feta or goat cheese, if desired and serve. Refrigerate remainder for up to a week.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Container: Medium soup pot
Serving Size: 1 cup
|-||2 tablespoons vegetable oil |
|-||1 white onion - medium|
|-|| garlic cloves, smashed|
|-||1 teaspoon ginger - fresh, finely grated|
|-||2 gala apples - seeded and coarsely chopped|
|-||1 celery stalks, thinly sliced crosswise|
|-||2 pounds sweet potatoes - peeled and thinly sliced|
|-||1 quart chicken stock or low-sodium broth|
|-||3 cups water|
|-|| Salt and white pepper to taste|
|-||1/2 teaspoon cumin - more or less to taste|
|-||1/2 teaspoon onion powder|
|-||1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper - more or less to taste (optional)|
|-||7 1/2 ounces chipolte peppers (optional - see Note below)|