- Season stew meat with salt and pepper.
- Dredge the pieces in flour, coasting all sides.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or saucepan on medium-high heat.
- Add prepared stew meat and brown on all sides.
When the meat is all browned, add the onion, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the onions are tender and starting to caramelize - approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Add garlic and tomato paste, cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cover, increase the heat to medium and simmer another 25-30 minutes. The broth will reduce to about 3 cups.
- Taste the broth, add salt if needed.
- Strain the broth, discard the bay leaf and reserve the meat for another recipe. The meat would be great in a bbq beef sandwich or on top of egg noodles.
- To assemble the sandwiches, split the rolls horizontally, but do not cut all the way through.
- Place in the oven just until warmed all the way through, approximately 5 minutes at 325°F.
- Add the sliced, deli style beef to the au jus in the sauce pan until warmed through.
- Remove the beef from the au jus and divide it up amoung the warmed rolls.
- Keep the sauce warm and pour into individual cups for serving.
- Add horseradish sauce or sliced cheese to the sandwiches if desired.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Container: dutch oven or saucepan, medium bowl
|-|| HORSERADISH SAUCE:|
|-||1 cup sour cream |
|-||1/4 cup horseradish |
|-||2 teaspoons Dijon mustard |
|-||2 green onions - finely chopped|
|-|| AU JUS:|
|-||1/2 pound stew beef |
|-||1 teaspoon salt |
|-||1 teaspoon pepper |
|-||1/4 cup flour |
|-||1 tablespoon vegetable oil |
|-||1 cup onion - finely chopped|
|-||1 clove garlic - chopped|
|-||2 teaspoons tomato paste |
|-||28 ounces beef broth - low sodium or regular|
|-||28 ounces beef broth - seasoned|
|-||1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce |
|-||1 bay leaf |
|-||1 1/2 pounds roast beef - deli style|
|-||6 hoagie buns |