- Preheat the oven to 350Â°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla. In a different bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cocoa powder. Using a mixer, slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Spray each cake pan with the non-stick cooking spray and dust each with flour. Divide the batter evenly between the three pans.
- Place in the oven with room between each pan for the heat to circulate for 20-25 minutes. The cake is done when it begins to pull away from the edges of the pan. Allow cakes to cool for 5 minutes on cooking racks, then invert them onto the racks to remove them from the pan. Allow to cool completely.
- For the frosting, cream together the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla for 2 minutes in a mixer or until light and fluffy. Place one cake on a cake platter and frost the top with 1/4" of frosting, place the second cake, top side down on top of the first and add 1/4" of frosting. Top with the last cake, top side up and frost the top and sides. Store covered.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Container: mixer, 3
|-||2 1/2 cups flour |
|-||1 1/2 cups sugar |
|-||1 teaspoon salt |
|-||1 teaspoon baking soda |
|-||2 tablespoons cocoa powder |
|-||1 1/2 cups vegetable oil |
|-||1 cup buttermilk |
|-||2 eggs - large, at room temperature|
|-||2 tablespoons red food coloring |
|-||1 1/2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar |
|-||1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract |
|-||16 ounces cream cheese - at room temperature|
|-||1 cup unsalted butter - softened|
|-||4 cups powdered sugar |
|-||2 teaspoons vanilla extract |