- Grease 2 pans lightly. Sprinkle with cornmeal to coat the bottom and sides of the pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups of flour, yeast and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat and stir milk, water, sugar and salt just until warm (120Â°-130Â°F.)
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture.
- Stir in the remaining 3 cups of flour.
- Sprinkle a work surface with a little flour, dump the dough out and finish incorporating the ingredients with your hands.
- Divide the dough in half and place each in a prepared bread pan.
- Sprinkle the tops with some more cornmeal.
- Cover with a damp cloth and allow it to rise in a warm setting until it is doubled in size, approximately 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400Â°F.
- Bake approximately 25 minutes or until golden. The dough will not rise to the top.
- Immediately remove from the pans and cool on a wire rack.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Container: 2 8x4x2 inch loaf pans, large mixing bowl, medium saucepan
|-||1/2 cup cornmeal enough to sprinkle pans and on top of dough|
|-||6 cups flour |
|-||2 packages active dry yeast |
|-||1/4 teaspoon baking soda |
|-||2 cups milk |
|-||1/2 cup water|
|-||1 tablespoon sugar |
|-||1 teaspoon salt |