- Cook the bacon (medium-low) until crisp. Remove bacon, leaving fat in pan.
- Mix ground beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Raise heat under skillet to medium-high and crumble the meat into the skillet. Brown lightly, then scoop out most of the meat, leaving some (about 1/4 of the total) to get dark brown. Put this meat in with the lightly browned, and discard all but 2 tablespoons of fat.
- Add the vegetables to fat in skillet and cook , stirring occasionally, until they soften - about 5 minutes, then add them to the meat.
- Add wine to skillet, raise heat to high, and boil until there is just a thin layer on the bottom of the pan, stirring to dissolve any browned bits.
- Add tomatoes including juice, and mix with the reduced wine. Stir in meat and vegetables and adjust heat to maintain a very slow simmer. Simmer for 2 - 3 hours, until very thick. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed. ( If salt is added earlier, the sauce might become too salty as it reduces)
- Add milk or cream and simmer for another 10 - 15 minutes.
- Serve hot, over pasta, topped with grated cheese if desired.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 3 hours
Container: Heavy skillet or Dutch oven
|-||1 slice bacon, chopped|
|-||1/2 pound ground beef|
|-||1 onion, finely chopped|
|-||1 carrot, finely chopped|
|-||1 stalk celery, sliced thin|
|-||2 cloves garlic, minced|
|-||1 cup red wine|
|-||1 28 oz can tomatoes (break up if whole)|
|-|| whole milk or cream|
|-|| salt and pepper|
|-|| grated parmesan cheese (optional)|