AU JUS JUICE
- Remove the roast from the refrigerator and allow it to sit at room temperature for approximately 2 hours before cooking. It should not be cold when placed in the oven but do not allow to sit out for more than 2 hours.
- Prepare the roast while it is sitting at room temperature. First trim the fat if it is over an inch thick but leave at least a quarter inch thick.
- If the bones were not tied to the roast when purchased use kitchen string to tie them to the meat. Tie between the bones on each ends and tie one string around the middle. If cooking a larger roast, you may want to tie it in additional locations.
- Preheat the oven to 450Â°F. Rub the roast, meat and fat, with salt and pepper.
- Place the roast in the roasting pan bone side down. You do not need a rack. The bones will act as a rack.
- Place in the preheated oven. Allow the roast to cook at 450Â°F for 15 minutes. Without opening the oven door, turn the heat down to 325Â°F and continue to cook for approximately 11 to 13 minutes per pound.
- 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time, check the temperature of the roast with an instant read thermometer.
- To cook to rare, remove the roast from the oven when the internal temperature is 115Â°F to 120Â°F. For medium rare, remove it when it is at 125Â°F. The temperature of the roast will rise 5Â° to 10Â°F during the resting period to bring the meat up to the temperature it should be for rare and medium rare meat.
- Tent the roast with foil and allow it to stand for at least 20 minutes before carving it.
- Cut off the strings and cut 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices from the ends of the roast. Cut parallel to the bones and only slice off the amount you are serving. This will keep the rest of the roast moister for when you do eat it.
- Pour fat off from drippings in the roasting pan.
- Add beef broth to the roasting pan and cook over medium heat. Stir and deglaze sides and bottom of the roasting pan to get all the browned pieces to add flavor to the juice.
- Bring the juices to a boil and cook until it is slightly reduced to intensify the flavor. Cook for approximately 2 minutes. Season the juice with salt and pepper to desired taste.
- Drizzle the Au Jus over the prime rib when serving.
|Prep Time: 15 minutes|
Cook Time: 2 hours
Container: Roasting pan with at least 2 inch sides
Serving Size: 1 slice
|-|| Prime Rib Roast - 4 bones (2 servings per bone)|
|-||1 tablespoon kosher salt|
|-||1 1/2 teaspoons pepper|
|-||1/2 cup beef broth|