- Cook the barley according to the package directions. Set aside.
- Mix diced apples, basil, walnuts, maple syrup and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Add in the barley.
- Cut the squash in half across the middle and remove the seeds.
- Cut the ends off each half so it will sit flat.
- Sprinkle each half with olive oil and place on a baking sheet or baking dish.
- Fill each cavity with the stuffing mix.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake covered at 350° F for one hour, remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes or until the squash is tender and browned.
- Boil 1/2 cup of apple juice until it becomes syrupy.
- Drizzle over the top of the squash before serving.
|Cook Time: 20 minutes|
Container: large baking sheet or dish, medium bowl
|-||1/2 cup barley - cooked|
|-||1 apple - skinned, cored and diced|
|-||2 tablespoons basil - fresh and chopped|
|-||1/2 cup walnuts - chopped|
|-||2 tablespoons maple syrup |
|-||1 teaspoon cinnamon |
|-||2 acorn squash |
|-||2 tablespoons olive oil |
|-||1/2 cup apple juice |